1 onion, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tablespoons oil
1 can 10 3/4 ounces chicken broth
1 can 10 3/4 ounces beef broth
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 large tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh corn, optional (When we do not have fresh corn, we use canned or frozen.)
chicken pieces, optional
black beans, optional
1/4 cup grated cheese, Monterey Jack or cheddar
4-6 corn tortillas
- Saute onion, green chilies and garlic in oil.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese and tortillas. Bring to a boil
- Simmer one hour. May be frozen at this point.
- 10 minutes before serving cut the tortillas into 1" strips. Fry them in a small amount of hot oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Add 1/4 cup grated cheese and tortilla strips.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream, extra cheese, and avocado. (optional ;-)
- Serves six.