This is an easy dinner that the kids love! It's very flavorful, and even incorporates some carrots in there....so yeah, It's practically health food! :-) (I wish)
1 (8 oz.) package elbow macaroni noodles
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated carrot
2 tsps. minced garlic
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- In a large frying pan, add onion and carrot and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. add ground beef; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Cook for two minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add pasta to beef mixture in pan, stirring to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place milk, flour, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium sauce-pan; stir with a wisk until blended. Cook over medium heat two minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a wisk. Add 1 cup cheese, stirring until smooth. Pour cheese mixture over pasta mixture; stir. Top evenly with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 2o minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.