Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken ~ by Caroline

Our family always enjoys a good Chinese food dinner!
Last night, I tried this new recipe, and I think
we all agreed it was quite delicious!
 

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe:
Ingredients:
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.  Place cornstarch and beaten eggs in separate bowls.  Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture.  Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned.  Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.  In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, ketchup, vinegars, soy sauce and garlic salt.  Pour over chicken and bake for one hour.

Our variations:  I changed the 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1/4 apple cider vinegar to 1/8 of each.
We did not have low sodium soy sauce, so I used regular soy sauce.  Also, I added some flour to the cornstarch to stretch the amount of cornstarch that we had on hand.   It is a good idea to stir the chicken occasionally while it is baking in the oven.   


Source: Six Sisters Stuff website

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can handle reading this blog!! This is making me hungry and I don't have the right ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete