Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Granola Bars

These make a great healthy snack and are my go-to recipe for a perfect little early morning "wake-me-up" before heading off to do my morning milking and animal chores.  Combined with a strong cup of tea or coffee they are almost always effective.  The recipe was born of a hodge-podge of similar but not quite perfect recipes found on the internet a couple years ago, plus a few of my own modifications. :-)  So, rather unfortunately, I have no credit to give unto the proper sources! 

2 C. Oatmeal
3/4C. Flour (I love using oat flour for the flavor and texture, but whole wheat also works.)
1/3 C Brown Sugar (can omit if prefered)
1/3 C Flax Seeds
1/3 C Chopped Almonds (or other nuts)
3/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
3/4 C. Rasisns
 1/2 C. Dried Apples...yum!

1/2 C. Honey
1 Beaten Egg
1/2 C. Coconut or other oil
2tsp Vanilla

Mix first 8 ingredeients and last 4 ingredients seperately.  Then mix both together.  Spread  in a well-greased 13x9 and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Don't let them get too brown, they will harden more as they sit.  I like to cut them as soon as I remove them from the oven.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy!!! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!!! You know how granola bars and trail mix are my most favorite snacks! (Remember how you used to have to hide them from me? That was always such a fun hide and seek game for me, with a delicious treat at the end! Thanks! ;-)

    I noticed, however, that there are no chocolate chips in the ingredient list! Remember, those are important strictly for their antioxidant benefits! ;-) I sure love the dried apples, too!

    Thanks again for posting this! So glad to have it!
    Love you so much,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh yes. I remember that! I had them hidden under the bed in the guest room and you found them when you were putting away towels! Foiled my hiding spot. It was really hard to hide anything in a good place where no one would find them. I don't put chocolate chips in them anymore, but if I make them for you I will LOL <3

    ReplyDelete