|Pre-baked and before the biscuits are added.|
This seems like one of the best all-in-one-home-cooked-comfort foods to me! It's great to take to a friend's house that is in need of a hot meal.
We often get asked for the recipe!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 1 hour
Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (We omit the mushrooms and pimientos. Then, we add a little seasoned salt and pepper to give it a bit more flavor.)
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in broth and milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, peas, pimientos and salt ; heat through. Pour into a greased shallow 2 1/2 quart dish; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place biscuits over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Source: Old clipping from a Taste of Home magazine