|Flattened chicken pieces that are rolled-up |
with green chilies and Monterey Jack cheese in the middle!
This has been another long-time favorite in our family. It is a little more time consuming than I prefer, ;-) but it is worth the extra work! The chicken turns out very flavorful and juicy! The original recipe includes a tomato sauce, but we've never used it. It has great flavor and moistness without anything else added to it! Enjoy!
8 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
1 can diced green chilies divided into 8 portions (we actually use 2 cans!)
1/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 8 strips (or you can use shredded as well)
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Pound chicken pieces to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place chilies and Jack cheese strip in center of each chicken piece. Roll up and tuck ends under.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Dip each stuffed chicken breast in shallow bowl of 6 Tablespoons melted butter. Roll in crumb mixture.
- Place chicken seam side down in oblong baking dish. Drizzle with a little melted butter.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until done (We cut the center one open to check for any pinkness.)
- Serves 8