Even though, at the time of this posting, it is the first few official days of summer, we LOVE to bake with pumpkin year round!! And chocolate goes with everything, right? These cupcakes/muffins are delicious, fairly nutritious, and are very quick to make!! They have been some of our favorites for years!
We usually do not frost them, as we like them just the way they are! ;-)
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (Your preference; we usually omit them.)
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil, honey and water. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined; fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or foil-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
- Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Source: Old Taste of Home magazine clipping